Quality drip coffee makers are easy to come by, but finding the best home latte machine can prove to be a little more difficult. Today, we’re here to help you with that.
First, we’ll start out by telling you what a latte is.
A latte is a combination of espresso and milk. It differs from regular coffee, which is a combination of espresso and water.
What sets a latte machine apart from a drip coffee maker?
Drip coffee makers only provide a premixed water and espresso combination, leaving very little room for personalization.
Latte machines, on the other hand, are great because they make users a shot of espresso which can be poured into any type of base, be it water, milk, almond milk, cream, or something else entirely. They create the possibility of drink personalization to the highest possible ability a coffee machine could bring.
Our top picks for the best home latte machine are as follows:
- Mr. Coffee Cafe Latte
- Keurig Rivo Cappuccino and Latte System
- De'Longhi Magnifica Smart Espresso & Cappuccino Maker
- De'Longhi 15 Bar Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
- Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine
Now that we have the basics, let’s get to it.
Keep reading to see some of the best home latte machine reviews.
The Best At-Home Latte Machines
Mr. Coffee Cafe Latte
If you’ve never made a latte before, the Mr. Coffee Café Latte machine is a great place to start. Simply add your flavors to the bottom of the cup, fill the machine with milk and coffee grounds in the appropriate places, and it will create you a delicious, frothy latte-like drink. Because it mixes drip coffee instead of straight espresso with milk, it isn’t quite a true latte, but the idea is very, very similar.
This machine is great for beginners because it takes just a simple touch of a button to get things going. It gives the ability to create up to 24 ounces of delicious coffee drink at a time and features a powerful milk frother. It has an automatic turnoff, too. For people who are just getting into the world of lattes, we have to say this is the best at home latte maker on the market.
- Simplest latte machine on the market for beginners
- Powerful milk frother that can create hot chocolate too
- Automatic turnoff
- Doesn’t create a “true” latte, though there is very little difference
- Users cannot purchase replacement parts
- A more complex machine may provide a better, more powerful drink
The Keurig Rivo Cappuccino and Latte System
Another great machine is the Keurig Rivo Cappuccino and Latte System. Though it's a little more complex than the previous machine, it is easy for most at-home latte makers to grasp the concept of.
This machine features 15 bar pressure to create a personalized boldness in just about a minute. The layout of the machine allows users to create an espresso shot on one side while frothing milk on the other. Users can choose if they want to make a latte, cappuccino (similar to a latte but with more foam), or a cold froth.
- 15 bar pressures to customize flavor boldness
- Ability to froth milk and create an espresso shot at the same time
- Choice of latte, cappuccino, or cold froth in under one minute
- Uses a specific pod and not just any K-Cup
- Frother overflows occasionally if the rubber gasket isn’t properly tightened
- Milk frother cup is plastic instead of glass
De'Longhi Magnifica Smart Espresso & Cappuccino Maker
Next comes the De’Longhi Magnifica Smart Espresso & Cappuccino Maker, which creates some of the best lattes and cappuccinos around. This machine is easy for most users to pick up.
It comes with a burr grinder with 13 settings so that you can choose whatever type of beans or grounds you would like your lattes to be made with. It also features a double-shot option, which pours twice the amount of espresso-y goodness into your cup with the push of a simple button. Another added feature is the water filter and 60-ounce water tank. This machine is easy to use with the auto-clean function and it looks great, too!
- Built-in burr grinder
- Double-shot option
- Large 60-ounce water tank
- Takes a little “getting used to”
- Operation is more restrictive than some machines
- Temperature isn’t hot enough for some
De'Longhi 15 Bar Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
This next machine is by De’Longhi as well, but it's a tiny bit more complicated than the previous one. It's an Amazon #1 Best Seller and has over 4,200 purchases worldwide.
It features a swivel milk frother, giving users the ability to easily prepare the perfect frothy milk every time. This machine is great because all you do is put grounds into your porta filter, tamp the grounds and twist it into the machine to start making your espresso shots, froth your milk, and pour the milk into the cup following with the espresso shots. It’s best to pour the shots into the milk within 17 seconds after they are done pouring from the machine to ensure that they don't lose flavor and become bitter. Cleaning is super simple with this machine too, which is an added bonus.
- Swivel milk frother for easy handling
- Easy cleaning
- Simple lattes in just a few steps
- A little more complicated than some machines
- May occasionally leak
- Provides a medium froth instead of a thick froth, which some may not like
Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine
This beauty of a machine is unique in its appearance, but it's also great at making amazing lattes. The process with this machine is the same as the process we talked about with the last machine.
Grind your beans, tamp them into the porta filter and twist it into the machine to get the shots going. Then froth your milk and pour the shots and milk into a cup when ready. Again, try to get the shots into the milk within 17 seconds of pouring for optimal flavor.
This machine comes with a ton of cool features, including a built-in grinder, porta filter, tamp, grind size option dial, pressure gauge, removable drip tray, hot water dispenser, swivel milk frother, and more.
It creates crema (the light color on the top of an espresso shot) like no other machine we’ve seen before for the perfect flavor every time. We have to say, for people comfortable with a basic espresso machine, this is the best home latte maker on the market.
- Comes with a ton of features, including a built-in grinder, hot water dispenser, swivel milk frother, and more
- Crema is created much better than with the majority of other machines
- Cleaning is easy
- More complicated than some other machines, though playing around will help you to better understand the machine
- It can be hard to tell when the water tank needs to be refilled
- Noisier than other machines
Now that we’ve given you some choices, from beginner to expert, you can decide which is the best home latte machine for you. If you're looking for other types of coffee makers, like one-cup machines, those with grinders, or a BUNN, check out our other articles.
Good luck and we hope you share this review article with your friends!
It was 3 a.m. at a roadside diner when Jack took his first sip of coffee, a bottom-of-the-carafe brew he swigged black, without sugar. At the time, he was a junior in high school trying to impress a college girl. He has long forgotten the girl, but not the coffee. He currently lives in Seattle where the rain always smells like roasted beans.